Saturday, November 12, 2011

Belated Veterans' Day


My Grandfather

            So I know I’m a day late to be posting about Veterans’ Day, but I didn’t have much time yesterday.

            Veterans’ Day is a bit of an odd holiday in our family. My grandfather on my dad’s side was in the army as a paratrooper. While he was at war, my grandmother was pregnant with my father. Unfortunately he got spinal meningitis before my dad was ever born. For those who aren’t familiar with the disease, it made him process thoughts on a very elementary level. Consequently his mother was the only person allowed to see him while he was hospitalized. Not his wife or his child.
            In fact, we didn’t even know he was alive until we got a call when I was in high school letting us know that he had passed away. It’s an awfully sad story.
            Fortunately the sad story has a truly amazing story that has resulted. My dad grew up without a father. I don’t know what that would be like, but I have to imagine it’s incredibly difficult. Despite his upbringing, my father has become one of the most incredible fathers I have ever had the privilege of meeting. Without any personal frame of reference, he has been the guiding force in my life and the strength that has kept me grounded during my most difficult times.

            Here’s to you, dad. Thank you for always being the for me. Thank you for being the best father I could ever imagine. Thank you for everything you have done for me. I can’t imagine life without you and will never be able to thank you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment