Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Old Friends

     In the two days I'm in town this week, I made time to visit my high school art teacher. She no longer teaches at the school I attended, but works at my sister's high school. She's a truly incredible woman. After a stroke and a hip replacement, she's still finding time to make sure she can be there for her students. They truly are hers. I've never come across another teacher about whom everybody had only good things to say. She shaped an incredibly large part of who I am today, and I wouldn't trade my memories from her class for anything.
     Except for my teacher, my high school did not prioritize the arts very highly. She really was the foundation for a great program and I can't thank her enough for helping me harness my creative side.
     It's in her honor that I've added a link at the top of the page for my artwork, so feel free to look through it.
My print that won in 7th grade. Looks very ordinary to me now.

     When I was in middle school she submitted some of my work to a national competition called the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. I was fortunate enough to win in my seventh, ninth, and eleventh grade years and I attribute every bit of my success to her. She not only allowed me to explore life in my own creative fashion, but also gave me access to the validation that every person craves.
     It was great to see you today Rosie. Thank you for everything you've done for me and for hundreds of others. May the world always be full of people like you.

4 comments:

  1. You are voicing what many artists feel....it was also my high school art teacher that validated me as an artist and encouraged me to continue. So glad you let her know how important she was to you! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt,
    Nice to meet you! Thanks for visiting.

    I never had that kind of art teacher and wish I had! Nothing better than someone who is passionate about what they do. It inspires others so much.

    I am looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your teacher sounds like an amazing human being. It is fortunate thing when someone like this comes to your life. I checked your art page & there is some truly powerful stuff there. Thank you for following my work, its great to make your acquaintance :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologize that it has taken me so long to get back to you.

    Theresa - Glad you enjoyed it. She truly is a wonderful woman, and I am glad that you were fortunate enough to have a similar experience. If it means as much to you as it does to me then I'm sure you count it highly among your blessings.

    Annie - Of course! I enjoy reading what you write and will be back again soon! Inspiration is hard to come by for a lot of people and having others take time to be there for you is a wonderful thing. Sorry to hear you didn't have a teacher like that, but teachers come from unexpected places at unexpected times. Keep your eyes open!

    Vineeta - I couldn't agree more. My father calls them angels: people who enter our lives for no other reason than to make us better people. Seems to be an accurate description to me. I'm glad you enjoyed my artwork, it's as much a part of me as anything else I have ever done. Wonderful to make your acquaintance as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete